|Difficulty level||Very easy|
|Preparation time||25 min|
|Cooking time||30 mins|
|Serving size||8 persons|
Also available in: Français
This is a winner ! Discover how to make a perfect French Galette des Rois (King cake) with almond filling. It’s easy and quick to make and tastes amazing. Don’t go and spend your money on buying one, when you can make it yourself which will cost you less 🙂
I have made other versions of this : King’s brioche from Provence, Galette des Rois with apples and Speculoos cookie butter. You can also check out my Galette des Rois with homemade puff pastry or the one with redcurrants and Nougat (2018) or the Galette des Rois with lemon and almond filling.
If you like the taste of Bounty (chocolate and coconut), then have a look at the Bounty Galette des rois (2021) for a gooey coconut taste and a lovely almond and chocolate filling… easy to make and so tasty !
Why not use my recipe for a homemade puff pastry, that will only take you 30 minutes. 🙂
List of ingredients
- Puff pastry rolls (2) or homemade one
- 125 g sugar (⅔ cup)
- 60 g softened butter (¼ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 150 g ground almonds (1 ½ cup)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 egg (to give a golden color) and a pinch of salt
- Optional : 50 g pastry cream for a real Frangipane (¼ cup)
Steps for the recipe
- Beat the sugar and softened butter, then add the ground almonds.
- Slice the vanilla bean down the middle to extract the seeds and add the seeds to the mixture.
- Add 2 eggs and the rum (you can also use orange blossom water or bitter almond extract)
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry onto a baking sheet and pour some mixture over it (leave a 2cm - 1 inch border around the edges). Brush the edges with water.
- Press a fève into the filling (porcelain or plastic figurine) if you like and then put a second sheet of puff pastry on top. Press the edges to seal the cake.
- Mix an egg yolk and a pinch of salt, and then brush some of it on top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge and use a knife to draw patterns on the pastry. Be careful not to puncture the pastry ! Brush the cake again with the egg yolk.
- Refrigerate again for 20 minutes and during this time, preheat the oven at 180°C (350 F).
- Bake at 180°C (350 F) for 40 minutes (a bit more if it’s a big Galette or if you have made your own pastry).
Shall I make my own puff pastry ?
- If you don’t have time to make the puff pastry yourself, as you need time for this (see my homemade puff pastry), make sure you buy a good quality one. You can find really good ones nowadays and that might save you some time. 🙂
Shall I go for a traditional filling or an original one ?
- The traditional filling called Frangipane, is made of almond filling and pastry cream (half and half). Some of you might want to add bitter almond extract or rum (even better) for a bit more flavor.
- For a quick recipe, as in the above, you can just make a simple almond filling..it will be less gooey than with pastry cream, but it will be lighter and quicker to make.
- This year, why not be creative ! Add some berries. They will contrast with the sweetness of the Galette. My tips ? Use raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blueberries ….or apples, pears..they also taste really nice with the almond filling.
- If you are a chocoholic … you are not the only one ! That’s why you can add 3 tablespoons of chocolate spread or melted chocolate or cocoa powder in the filling 🙂
- Last tip for the filling : if it’s too liquid, place it for 30 minutes in the freezer before spreading it on the puff pastry…the butter will set and the filling will be thicker.