|Preparation time||40 min|
|Cooking time||45 min|
|Serving size||6 persons|
Also available in: Français
This is a classic in America and Canada ! A pecan pie with walnuts and pecans ! Originally, it’s made with pecans, but as I had some walnuts, I decided to add some as well and I love the result ! Traditionally, this pie is served at Thanksgiving, but who said we needed to wait until Thanksgiving to make one ! 🙂 Easy to make, with a homemade shortcrust pastry and a melt-in-your-mouth golden filling. Some of you might like to add a tablespoon of whisky in the mixture ! Don’t worry if the pie puffs up while baking, it will deflate when cooling down and look gorgeous. Enjoy ! If you want to have a look at another typical American pie recipe, have a look at my apple pie here.
List of ingredients
- 200 g all-purpose flour (1 ⅔ cup)
- 100 g chilled-butter cut in small pieces (a bit less than ½ cup)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or white sugar
- 40 ml cold water (a bit less than ¼ cup)
- 3 eggs
- 200 g pecans or pecans and walnuts (1 ⅓ cup)
- 175 g white sugar and brown sugar - a bit more than ¾ cup (for example 100 g brown sugar - ½ cup and 75 g white sugar - ⅓ cup)
- 35 g butter (melted) ⅛ cup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 big tbsp of glucose syrup or corn syrup (or honey or maple syrup)
Steps for the recipe
- or the shortcrust pastry, combine the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the chilled pieces of butter and rub in with your finger tips.
- Then rub with your hands until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the cold water and gradually work all the ingredients together with a hand to form a ball.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling out the dough.
- For the filling, beat the eggs, sugar and brown sugar
- Add the glucose sugar (or corn sugar), melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Finally add the cornstarch and mix.
- After you have rolled out the dough in a tart pan, spread the pecans inside the tart shell.
- Pour the filling on top and bake at 175° (slightly under 350°F) for 45 minutes.
- Let it cool down at least 2 hours before serving.
First of all, make your own pastry, see in the video how easy it is to make. It will make a difference ! Then, don’t hesitate to add nice flavors to your mixture such as vanilla extract, or a tablespoon of whisky or rum for example. This will give your pie a unique taste (remember that alcohol evaporates when you cook it but the flavor remains). Finally, to prevent the edges of your pie from browning, you can cover it with aluminium foil (make sure it doesn’t stick to your pie) and lower the temperature to 160°C (325 F). The pie will puff up while baking, don’t panic, it will deflate later. It’s really important that you let it cool down before serving. That way, it will be easier to cut.