|Preparation time||20 min|
|Serving size||8 persons|
Also available in: Français
Here is my recipe for a classic cheesecake, which is creamy, with a touch of lemon, such as the ones you would find in New York ! I have worked hard on this recipe and the result is delicious ! I have made some versions which require no cooking, such as an Oreo cheesecake, a vanilla and red berry cheesecake and a recipe raspberry cheesecake.
List of ingredients
- 200 g Speculoos cookies or Graham crackers, crushed (2 cups)
- 50 g melted butter (a bit less than ¼ cup)
- 600 g cream cheese (such as Philadelphia) (2 ⅔ cups)
- 1 natural unwaxed lemon
- 3 eggs
- 25 g all purpose flour or cornstarch (¼ cup)
- 100 g full fat creme fraiche or sour cream (a bit less than half a cup)
- 20 cl milk (a bit more than ¾ cup)
- 150 g sugar (¾ cup)
Steps for the recipe
- Mix the crushed Speculoos and the melted butter. Press onto the bottom of a springform pan and bake for 10 minutes at 180°C (350 F).
- Beat the cream cheese for a few seconds, add the creme fraiche and mix. Add the lemon zest, sugar and eggs, one by one.
- Add the sifted flour and then the milk and mix again.
- Pour onto the Speculoos.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 210°C (410 F), then for an hour at 90°C (195 F).
- Turn the oven off and leave the cake inside for another hour. Then remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down. Refrigerate for a whole night before serving.
How to give your cheesecake the perfect finish ?
You can often find cheesecakes with whipped cream on top. Sometimes the classic versions are covered with a red berry glaze. Nowadays in France, cheesecakes are served with different toppings : chocolate spread, chocolate glaze etc. For this recipe, I went for the lemon glaze, which is tangy and shiny. This will add freshness and balance out the sweetness of the cheesecake.
How to make a shiny lemon glaze ?
It’s easy : juice 3 lemons, add 3 tablespoons of water and if you want to get a colorful mirror glaze, add a touch of yellow food coloring powder or a few drops of yellow gel food coloring. Mix together. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave or in a saucepan until it simmers. Add 2 sheets of gelatin (that you have quickly soaked in cold water and strained beforehand). They will melt in the mixture.
Wait for the mixture to cool down for a few minutes and pour onto the cheesecake. Refrigerate.
You can also use some agar-agar instead. In this case, add 1g (½ tsp) to the mixture and heat for 2 minutes in a saucepan.